September 1, 2010

"Leftovers" Pizza

I have been BAD about posting. Actually, that is an understatement. Sorry, I promise to me better. With this said, I will do my best to post food thoughts more often. So, here goes nothing.
I have recently discovered pizza as a great vehicle to disguise leftovers. A "leftover pizza" is the perfect Friday night dinner. Plus, pizza is great with a bottle of red wine.

Below, I have provided an ingredient list from my most recent “leftover pizza.”


(1) The dough: The key here is fresh pizza dough. You can go to Fresh & Easy or Trader Joe’s. Both places carry the dough, pizza sauce and cheese.

(2) Invest in a rolling pin… cover the center of a cutting board with flour. Unwrap the dough and flip it over in the flour so both sides are covered. Coat the rolling pin in the flour. Roll out the dough… I like thin crust pizzas so I roll mine a little thinner. Place the dough on a cookie sheet.

(3) Coat the dough with a small amount of spray olive oil. Lightly dust the dough with salt, especially on the edges.

(4) Add your sauce… the amount is up to you. Be careful** about loading it on because the cheese because it will slide off the pizza when it is melted. I learned this in college. Don’t ask.

(5) The toppings: any leftover meat is a great way to go. When I am feeling creative, I even use leftover vegetables.

(6) For this pizza, I diced up left over steak from a BBQ the night before. I finely diced fresh sliced jalapenos, tomatoes and shallots from Fresh&Easy.

(7) If you are not a fan of the jalapeno flame, leave out the jalapenos and add fresh basil. If you do decide to add the basil, wait until pizza is mostly cooked to add the basil.

(8) I topped the whole thing off with a handful of crumbled goat cheese.

(9) Place it in the oven and bake…once the pizza appears golden brown, pull it out and let it sit for a few minutes.



There are no photos of this one, because we ate it.

1 comment: