September 23, 2010

Poblano Chiles from Hatch, New Mexico




I live to cook.  This may seem like an obvious statement but cooking is the way I love the people in my life.  This connection to cooking grew from watching my mother cook.  Her claim to fame is never cooking the same meal twice during the first year of her marriage.  I am not quite that to dedicate to my husband but I do enjoy experimenting with his dinner.

What does this have to do with Poblano Chiles?  Well, my mother recently ordered 90 pounds of these chiles from Bristol farms.  I know what you are thinking… that is a whole lot of chiles.  The worst part is, they came in a giant trash bag.  My mother and I once bought a trash bag full of cookies but that is a story for another time. 

I thought this large purchase warranted an intervention.  Who buys 90 pounds of chiles?  Upon confronting my mother about the bulging black plastic bag, I learned she has discovered blackened gold and a select few people would feel the rain of her bounty.  Needless to say, I came into about 5 pounds. 





My first thought…what I am going to do with 5 pounds of Poblano Chiles.  Well, I had yet to think of an appetizer for the block party.  My finance mind put two and two together and came up with an idea.  Here is what you will need for the ultimate block party pot luck…


Required items…
Flour tortillas
Carne Asada
Crumbled goat cheese
Victoria Taylor’s Smoky Paprika Chipotle Seasoning

At some point in your domestic career, you need to find a carniceria (Google it).  Purchase a few pounds of carne asada to grill at home.  The dry rub carne asada is best but hard to find.  Most often, you will run across the wet marinated carne asada and this will definitely work.  After grilling the meat (which will be quick) let it sit. 


Pull out a tortilla and scatter the crumbled goat cheese.  Liberally add the Victoria Taylor’s Smoky Paprika Chipotle Seasoning.  Next, add the chili (remove the steam and slice down the middle).  Add some of the grilled sliced carne asada and roll it.  The tighter the roll is, the better.  Slice the roll into three pieces and you are ready to hit the block party.

No comments:

Post a Comment